Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New self-portait, early stages

I'm trying something new here.  As a reference, I'm using a photo taken of myself last year against a wall of red fabric and a single light source close by. The red in the backdrop seems to be reflected everywhere, affecting skin colour in the lights and darks. The challenge for me is see past that and use more natural colouring, at least in the lights. The traditional pattern follows something like this: cool (highlights, like the chin and left side of forehead), warm (normal skin colour), cool (half-tones, the areas moving into shadows) and warm (contained and cast shadows on the figure).  A traditional face is usually cool in the forehead (closer to the light source), warm in the cheeks (where the blood is), and cool again in the chin area (a result of less blood on the skin's surface and effects of stubble, etc.).  
Before I move on though I'm going to correct the basic drawing in the lower half, raising my right shoulder and moving my left arm in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite empressed with the «finesse» of your art...
    You've got an admirer here in Montréal..

    Friendly
    Jean-Luc, Montréal,Canada

    ReplyDelete