Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A look again at the Holbein master copy

I haven't worked on my Holbein copy since early October but plan to return to it soon. The image below shows its current state. On a visit to New York City in October, I returned to the Frick Collection where the original hangs on a dark wall.  I stared for a long time trying to see what the skin colour and values in the hands are supposed to be, but in the dim light it was hard to see for certain. Inside the gift shop, I was struck by how bad most of their prints were. I purchased a large poster that is about 95% to scale but like the many online versions of Thomas More I've seen, the printed colours are way off. What I did learn from studying it is that I still need to sculpt the chin and push it to the left while giving the underside of the nose a greater angle.  In short: I have to make him uglier.

No comments:

Post a Comment