Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Figure Painting Update

Here's a view of this figure painting from my previous class, November 23. I "wasted" two sessions moving the head further down a few millimeters to reduce the size of the neck. It was a good reminder of how important it is to get the overall proportions correct in the first drawing of the figure. White is not very opaque, especially the Crementz white I'm using for this picture. So two weeks ago after moving the head down, the old eyebrows and eyes were still showing through, giving the face a "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" look. I spent last week performing more surgery on the new head, masking over the old features again and remodelling the new eyes, nose and ears. Tonight, I have to go back in and reapply the right values so that she doesn't look like a ghost. The head is such a small area in relation to the rest of the canvas that it seems a shame to spend so much time on it.  The class winds down in a few weeks and I need to bring all other areas up to the same degree of "finish" as the breasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment