Sunday, November 4, 2012

A return to blogging with a finished Thomas More portrait

My last post was in March 2012. It's time to update my painting adventures in the last seven months.

I'll begin with my copy of Holbein's Thomas More. I finally called it quits on September 3. My idea to lighten his mood by putting a role of Lifesavers in his hands does not go over as well with the peanut gallery as I hoped, so he remains true to his 1527 incarnation. The dark colours have begin to sink in so I'm looking forward to Varnishing Day in summer 2013.

The first two images below were taken on Labour Day on the deck at the cottage.





For this painting, I decided to have a custom handcrafted frame made from a company in Chicago -- Husar Picture Frames (www.husarpictureframe.com). I sent them several photos and measurements and together we choose the perfect frame from their extensive catalog of corner frames and finishes. 

Below is a picture of the painting sitting on our mantel, unframed. 



And here is the painting hung with its new frame. Once it is varnished next summer, it will be truly finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment