Sunday, January 29, 2012

A different Figure Painting

At home, I have another figure painting underway.  Our friend Chol is posing for me on Saturday mornings in our living room in front of a black backdrop. Below is my progress after the 3rd session yesterday.  There are still some drawing issues to correct, but overall I'm pleased at how it's going.  The basic palette I'm working with is ivory black, flake white, burnt umber, burnt sienna and raw sienna.  I'll be adding some green to the white for highlights, but I still have to figure out the best mix for his skin in the shadows. The classic pattern of cool highlights, warm skin tone, cool half-tones, and warm shadows doesn't seem to apply to the same degree here.  In this last session I was concentrating more on getting the values right than the colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment