Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Project: Portrait of Wayne M.

Here's a new project I initiated July 11th at the cottage. Wayne kindly posed for me in our living room, looking out over the deck towards the lake. The winning photo, chosen from among fifty or so, is shown below. We decided to go for the full figure and include more space around the figure for light and depth.



I bought a 30" x 24" pre-stretched canvas today, to which I'll add another layer of gesso and sand it down for a smoother surface. Curry's art store did not have linen in the size I wanted and I don't have time to acquire the best linen from the school -- I want to get started on this next week. I considered canvas board and masonite as the surface, but decided against it--better wait for a smaller project to experiment with a new surface.

The next challenge is deciding on the actual size and relative position of the figure on the canvas. Experimental images to follow in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment