Sunday, April 26, 2009

Good progress until the power cut out

Up north in cottage country this weekend, I managed to complete the "first painting" stage of the left leg. Without the glare from the window, as seen below, it looks right.

(One bad note: The thick oil-based gesso I applied as a ground marred the smoothness of the painting surface and unfortunately that does matter on small forms. The Achilles tendon gets pinched. It's noticeable from 6 feet away. Up close I can see a vertical "trough" left by the gesso brush. When light hits the trough it breaks up the swatch of skin colour I had laid down for that part of the foot. Ironically, the subject "Patroclus" was Achilles' lover and of course Achilles dies of a wound to his heel...)

I started working on the shorter, right leg when a storm hit us and the power was knocked out for the remainder of the weekend. I didn't have time to smooth out my initial paint layers but fortunately the ball of the right foot is quite wrinkled...

No comments:

Post a Comment